You're not used to seeing such posts from me, but as I was spending some time on Lyst the other day, I thought it would be a fun challenge to create a spring wishlist and at the same time SS13 trend report, just to put everything that this spring is about together, for present coveting and probable future succumbing. I broke SS13 into 10 categories of trend "teams" and chose a couple representatives from each. Here goes:
1. "Opposites Attract". This season's most "it" colour combination is good old black and white, usually followed by minimalist lines and simplicity all over, as seen at Celine, Alexander Wang and more. Find a short selection below with Roksanda Ilincic one shoulder swimsuit, a perfect minimalist choice for summer and Tibi monochrome dress, so simple and so chic.
2. "60s". The checkers had a huge presence on the catwalks, with Louis Vuitton being the largest contributor, at a very artistic show. Below, Marni poplin skirt, which I love for the choice of colours and pattern and Marni clutch, so chic and elegant.
3. "Big in Japan": Evident through the shows was the Japanese influence at The Row, Ackermann, Rodarte and more. Can't help but go nuts over the kimono style garments I'm starting to see all over. Two of my favourites, the Lanvin kimono dress, chic but lovely and Tucker floralprint kimono style jumpsuit, which I absolutely adore for being so colourful and having such a beautiful, strict line.
4."Cut-out": I remember in one of my very first posts I pledged eternal love for everything cut-out and I see the fashion world has yet to disappoint me. Cut-out still a trend, as seen at Alexander Wang, Balenciaga, Ackermann and more. I can already feel these two being one click away: Givenchy cut-out top, which I would love to wear with hotpants and a statement necklace and Maison Martin Margiela cut-out sneakers, beautiful and chic for the summer.
5."Bold Stripes": This season stripes were first advocated by Marc Jacobs in monochrome, but the rest of the designers soon followed suit. My selection happens to be black and white, but brighter hues have also made their appearance. Feel free to lust over a Balmain striped jacket and pants, I know I do! Both bold and statement pieces!
6. "Metallics": Also not new, but also apparently never dying! Burberry Prorsum had an almost entirely metallics based show, which if you ask me was one of this season's best. It's time to have at a couple more edgy pieces like a Simone Rocha top, chic and perfect with a midi skirt and Aperlai heels, which I love for being so minimal and fashion-forward.
7. "The New Leather": This quickly became an SS13 trend, as seen at Derek Lam, Trussardi, Sportmax, Jason Wu and more and it refers to easy-to-wear, summer leather. Two of my favourite leather items from the spring collections below: Acne leather jacket, an iconic piece for this season in a sweet colour and House of Holland leather bustier dress, the colour combination of which I absolutely adore!
8. "White": In the summer white is always classy and relevant, but now it's also fashionable. Advocated by Roberto Cavalli and Topshop Unique, to name a couple, minimal total white looks were prominent on the catwalks. Two pretty choices below: Chalayan flare dress, so girly and loveable and T by Alexander Wang romper suit, perfect for a summer night with colourful accessories.
9. "Lego Colours": Popping colours in monochrome flooded some of the catwalks too, namely Erdem and Versus. A Versace yellow dress, a statement party dress, perfect for the summer and a Herve Leger orange swimsuit, which would undoubtedly make you look like the hottest girl on the beach!
10. "The Fendi": OK this isn't really a thing, but I fell so deeply in love with the footwear at Fendi, I couldn't refrain from including such a work of art on the list. Fendi lizard print and leather sandals, something between Versailles and tetris. I can't even begin to explain this but I haven't been so intrigued by a pair of shoes before!
Thanks for reading!